Have you been to a BNI Chapter meeting ?
If you have, then you know what are the meeting is all about.
If you have not let me share with you what is about and how it benefits you as businessperson and for your business.
BNI (Business Networking International) is a business networking founded in 1985 by Dr. Ivan Misner. BNI has has about 200,000 business owners as members throughout the world. BNI helps its members by helping them to form chapter where in a chapter consists of more than 25 members who are business owners.
BNI Chapter members have an obligation to meet every week to exercise the tools and systems of BNI to grow their business through giving and receiving business referrals.
In the meeting we follow the standard 20 point agenda which last about two and a half hours maximum.
Below are the 20 agenda that we practice each meeting at our BNI Chapter meeting.
- Open Networking: Each meeting starting with a business open networking from 6:30 AM to 7:12 AM. This is a great opportunity for members and visitors to get to know each other.
- Welcome to members, visitors, executive directors, national director present. President of the chapter presents himself and his roles in the chapter. Leadership Team members present themselves and their roles and responsibilities in the chapter.
- Purpose and Overview of BNI: The chapter president give an overview what is BNI all about. How BNI helps you as a business owner. What tools, systems and supports you get from your chapter and BNI in order to support your business growth.
- Networking Education: The networking education coordinator gives a five minute presentation to educate members and visitors on the knowledge and skills related to business and networking.
- Announce BNI Network Leaders: BNI has a culture to appreciate a person publicly and criticize privately. The purpose of this agenda is to acknowledge and appreciate those members who practicing “Givers Gain” philosophy.
- Pass Business Card: Business card holder of the chapter consisting of business cards of all chapter members. Visitors can take the cards of any members from the book for future business opportunities, but they can not put their cards in.
- Welcome to New and Renewing Members: Membership for each member is one year and we need to renew it every year. Each chapter also welcome new members with different professions from its existing members’.
- Members Introduce Themselves [Referral Education Moment]: Each member has 30 seconds to 60 seconds, depends of chapter size, to introduce themselves and their specific services or products for the week with a call for action for other members to bring referrals for them.
- Welcome Visitors and Visitors Introduce Themselves and Their Business: Visitors are given the same amount of time to present themselves and their business to the chapter members.
- Vice President Report
- Membership Committee Report
- Secretary Treasurer’s Announcement Speaker Rotation.
- Business Showcase: Each week at our chapter (BNI CEO Chapter) we give opportunity to two members to do eight minute business showcase. This allows them to present more details about their business and products including Questions and Answers. On 1st March 2016 we had only one member doing business showcase, Mr. Nam Vandy, he is the owner of RTD Enterprise Pte, LTD. As required by the chapter each speaker need to have a door-prize given to members who give referrals other members in the chapter. The door prize is given through a lucky draw process. This particular week I gave only one referral to my business partner, LC Travel, to buy my air-ticket for my traveling to join Rich Dad Asia Congress in Myanmar. It was the lucky week for me because I have given many referrals weeks before for over two years. And this week I was selected as the lucky draw winner for a $50 voucher to Champei Spa. I feel great because I love spa.
- Referral and Testimonials: This is the most important agenda of all during the meeting. This is the time where each member prepare referral slips, business opportunities, other members in the chapter. And at the same time they also prepare and give thank you notes for closed business deals to other members. And we also give testimonials for great experiences we have from using our members’ products or services.
- Referral Reality Check
- Secretary Treasurer’s Report
- President Thanks Visitor.
- BNI Announcements, Reminders, and Special Reports
- Door Prize Drawing/s for members who bring visitors and referrals (see #13 above)
- Close the meeting with a Quote of The Week. We always close our meeting with a food for thought by picking up the best quotation related to life, success, business, and network to share with our members.
Hope you get some ideas what is BNI meeting all about. This is a great place for people who run business to meet and cultivate their relationship into business relationship.
There are many other networks that serve business purpose such as Young Entrepreneur Association, learning purpose such as CashFlow Club, charity purpose such as JCI Cambodia, investment purpose such as Cambodia Investor Club etc.
Know your purpose and join the right networking.
Have a great day!