There are four roles in a business. No matter you are the CEO or the founder you might be play as one or more of the following roles. And each role you play contribute to the certain level of growth in your company.
Level #1: Employee / Technician
• Doing things.
• Interested in getting it done
• Focus on what needs to be done
• Rely on themselves
• Get the work done
• It’ll be better if I just do it myself
• Why am I the only person who cares enough to do this the right way.
• Why should I pay someone else to do it when I already know how?
• Just give me step-by-step instructions and then I’ll take it from there.
Level #2: Manager / Coordinator
• Interested in efficiency.
• Focus on systems and structure.
• Keeps their eyes on the bottom line.
• Develops detailed steps and timetables.
• Seeks predictability and order.
• Integrates the actions of others.
• Gets work done through others.
• Determines who is the best resource for a given task or activity.
Level #3: President / Business Builder
• Develops the vision, values, and strategies.
• Inspires others to buy in to the purpose and to follow.
• Emphasizes philosophy, core values, shared goals, and company myth.
• Keeps their eye on the horizon for future trends.
• Focus on the future, keeps a long term perspective.
• Keeps everyone within the company focused on the goals, objectives, and mission.
• Establishes the internal criteria for success and failure.
• Responsible for overall performance of the organization.
Level #4: Investor / Business Owner
• Views the business in it self as the product
• how does my investment (time or money) in this business compare to any other business?
• What is the rate of return on my time investment in this business?
• What is the rate of return on my money invested in this business?
• Is this business that is being built a sellable one?
• Is this business growing or shrinking in asset value?
Now if you are running a business you can assess yourself what level you are now. It was an eye opening when I first got to know about these different levels of a business owners. This gives me a guidance of where I am now and where I want to go in the future.