Tony Robbins gave a talk at TED. He discussed about the “invisible forces” that motivate everyone’s actions — and high-fives Al Gore in the front row.
Below is the key summary of his talk with the original video from TED Talk:
Decision is the Ultimate Power that shapes our destiny. If you make different decision, your life will be completely different (reflect to real life experience). Yet, people who fail to make decision and/or to take action to achieve their goals always say they lack of resources such as time, money, knowledge, contacts, and experiences and so on. However, he said the lack of resources is not the defining factor, but the resourcefulness is, which include creativity, determination, love/caring, curiosity, passion and so on, that forces us to take action to achieve our goals and reach our destiny. The only different in human being, either successful or failure persons, are the emotional fitness and physiological strength. The emotion is the ultimate source and invisible force of internal drive that actives the most important thing in the world. If we get right emotion, we can get ourselves to do anything and vice versa.
He also mentioned that there are two invisible forces that shape us which include state (physical/emotional states) that shape us short term and our model of the world that shapes us long term.
Then we would ask why we do what we do, why we want to influence somebody and so on. The reasons he believes are the six needs
(1) Certainty – to assure us to avoid paid and gain pleasure;
(2) Variety – the need for the unknown, change, new stimuli, excitement;
(3) Significance – feeling unique, important, special or needed;
(4) Connection/Love – a strong feeling of closeness or union with someone or something;
(5) Growth – an expansion of capacity, capability or understanding; and
(6) Contribution – a sense of service and focus on helping, giving to and supporting others.
This article is a summary of TED Talk “Tony Robbins: Why we do what we do” summarized by Sara Nguon
Sara is a social entrepreneur. His passion is to share simple and actionable knowledge and wisdom with the world.